Saturday, May 7, 2011

MFA Art Show: Yummier/Brainsickly

This show was unlike any show that I've been to before. It did remind me a little of the Museum of Neon Art in LA, but the work in this show was much more dark than that work. I liked the first room a lot. The use of lighting and UV light to interact with the art was an interesting choice. I liked how the combination of the conditions of the room made the art. I thought the medicine cabinet that glowed in the UV light was a very interesting piece. The artist frosted the glass in a linear interweaving pattern around the edges and the word "death" was etched on the front center of the glass. It reminded me of the synthetic chemicals that we put in our bodies when we're sick in order to relieve our symptoms and in essence hold off death, when the very use of those chemicals cause distortion on a cellular level. Medicine and the pharmacological system is something we should be very wary of and think about before using and that's what I think this piece meant. There was also another glass piece it was a circle with LED lights on the inside and a mirror effect that made it look like it had much more depth than it actually had. It was a psychedelic effect that was obviously skillfully achieved. I wish that there had been placards that told the titles of the work and the artist. I also liked the floor piece with the tiled reflectors and large orb that interacted with the strobe light. I thought that the soundtrack with what sounded like eerie whale sounds was complimentary to the work. The sculptures in the second room looked like tumors to me. they reminded me of diseased flesh or growths. I don't know exactly what their purpose was if it was more than that. Overall it was a very cool show.

No comments:

Post a Comment