Thursday, April 7, 2011

Art Objects??

This is my water faucet in my bathroom. It may not look like art at first glance, but when abstracted you can appreciate the form of the sculpted metal. It is something that was designed by someone who knew aesthetics and though it may not seem like a huge deal to everyday life, people spend a long time trying to choose the perfectly aesthetically pleasing faucet to complete their bathrooms. The curvatures and reflections of the abstracted image that I took make the image interesting and let you examine the faucet in anew way. The way the metal manipulates light is very pretty.
This is a Larry Bell piece. I have tried and tried to understand how such simple work like this could be seen as art. I do not understand how a simple square of color in another square of color has art value beyond being a tool that could be used to teach small children the colors of the rainbow. I am amazed that this guy became famous and was able to sell things like this. Even if I could sell a colored shape inside of a color I would be kind of embarrassed to do it because it is not representative of any skill level.

It is hard to understand what is and isn't art, it is a very personal choice that is often left up to experts. I have my own definition of art and it usually pertains to things that I believe to have art value whether or not I like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment